Thursday, March 23, 2006

I told John Hermanson I wanted a musical career like his and he laughed at me.

Sad but true. I was talking to him after a Storyhill show at The Mill and he asked what sort goal I had in mind for CST and when I replied that I'd be thrilled to have CST provide a Storyhill-like experience for Matt & I he laughed at me and told me I'd seemed smarter than that. Shows what he knows. Ha!

Matt and I have often discussed where we see CST going, but rarely actually brought the discussion to any sort of conclusion. If it was possible to have playing & selling music (speaking of selling music, I got an e-mail from CD Baby today telling me that the tunes from Second Whisper can now be purchased as ringtones. I'm not sure what I think of that, but I think I'd find it pretty neat if I heard someone's cell phone start telling them that a steady anchor was all that they needed) be a significant part of making our livings we'd be thrilled, but the reality of the music world is that there's a tremendous amount of legwork to be done before a band can reach that point, and most of that requires things we're either unwilling or not in a position, rest-of-our-lives-wise, to do. On the other hand, CST has occasionally brought in some money and we have a lot of time and cash invested so I have trouble thinking of it as a "hobby" really.

I don't have a point I'm trying to work towards here - as much as anything I'm just trying to get into the habit of posting - this "what, exactly, is CST, anyway?" question is one Matt and I have devoted thousands of words in e-mails to and never come up with anything. It seems immensely fundamental to the idea of calling ourselves a band, though, so it seemed an apt post subject. If anyone has any thoughts they'd like to weigh in with I'd love to read them. Meanwhile, enjoy the properly-sized picture of Matt and I (thanks, Joel, for the HTML fix). Check back in for some thoughts and updates on the recording process and hopefully (if I can convince him to sign on as a contributor) some posts from Matt!

1 comment:

Matt said...

I agree that it'd be keen if CST's career somewhat matched Storyhill's. It doesn't, but that's probably okay. After all, that would require a lot of time and effort and energy that we, as Charlie already mentioned, are not really able to give at this point in our lives.

Our collective musical career has been very much under the radar, I think. We've been chugging along, playing our music for small but usually appreciative audiences for about ten years now. Not a whole lot has changed in that time; a CST show in 1997 would look and sound much like a CST show in 2006 (though I think (and hope) we're better now than we were then). Each time we've gotten what we thought would be a "big break," it's turned out to not really be that after all (Live From Studio One, Music in the Park, NACA...).

It is more than a hobby, though. We've invested a lot of time and effort and money into CST over the years, and we've also reaped many benefits (some monetary, but mostly in the form of positive feedback from audiences and a lot of fun times). If CST ever turns into a way for us to make a living, that will be great! If it doesn't, though, it will still be (and has been) great.

Now lets hear from someone who is not in the band!